[Tagging] RFC on two proposals: Motorway indication; Expressway indication

Bill Ricker bill.n1vux at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 02:40:08 BST 2010

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 12:32 AM, David ``Smith'' <vidthekid at gmail.com> wrote:
>  You might be thinking, "what's an expressway?"  The
> short answer is, it's just like a freeway/motorway but with at-grade
> intersections.

Huh?  That's weird to me.

The only Expressway so named nearby Boston (USA) is fully
ramp-interchange-controlled-access.

The unofficial abbreviation of the South-East eXpressWAY is amusingly
almost NSFW :-)

Around here, the grade-level stop-light studded partially controlled
access trunk-plus ways are often called Parkways, even if the name
ends in Boulevard, Drive, or even Road. (Usually with more greener in
median and/or more verdeant verges than merely utilitarian
"motorways", and older than WWII too.)

What really freaks me out are the few cases where an Interstate (US
national Motorways) spur meets another Interstate's ramp at a
city-street stoplight controlled grade intersection instead a ramp
around. http://osm.org/go/ZeV9lnEI . In this case one is a toll road
and the other free.

--
Bill