[Tagging] Builders' Merchants -> Timber Merchant

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 13:56:51 BST 2010

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 9:13 PM, pavithran <pavithran.s at gmail.com> wrote:
> I like the trade=* but why call it shop=trade . I doesnt sound good .
> Is there a restrictions on 'keys' can't there be a key called 'trade'

The benefit of shop=* is that renderers can use a generic shop icon.

My suggestion:

shop=trade_supplies
timber=yes
concrete=yes
soil=yes

(much akin to amenity=fuel, octane91=yes, etc)

Btw I've been wondering how to map these for ages. From the air it's
hard to distinguish a shop that sells supplies of that kind, and a
small factory that consumes them (you see lots of piles of soil, rock
etc), so I think I often end up tagging them landuse=industrial.

Steve