[Tagging] What's the proper way to map multiple rail tracks in a street?

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 02:48:20 BST 2010

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 9:16 PM, Cartinus <cartinus at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> On Thursday 24 June 2010 00:18:16 Nathan Edgars II wrote:
>> >
>> > I would use:
>> > railway=*
>> > tracks=2
>>
>> Except that then you don't have the individual positions of the tracks.
>
> You have to choose between simple modelling (like a multi-lane road is a
> single line) or high accuracy mapping (map each track exactly where it is)
> else you get a mess with high zoom rendering. This is the problem you
> yourself saw in your first post in this thread. So the "solution" is simple:
> pick one option. I told you which one I would pick. Simple not?

That doesn't make sense. A multilane road is a continuous paved area,
while rail tracks are separate, like a dual carriageway road. You can
move continuously between lanes of a road (including to the other side
if you U-turn), but trains can only switch tracks at crossovers.

And yet there are traffic rules, so mapping the street as an area is
probably not the correct solution.