[Tagging] football or soccer ?

Zeke Farwell ezekielf at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 14:52:41 BST 2010

Wow….  after following the back and forth on this thread I'm really starting
to understand the argument for numeric tagging schemes

sport=305 (american football)
sport=246 (association football, football, soccer, calcio, etc…)
sport=220 (rugby)

Is anyone going to get insulted that the tag for football/soccer/whatever is
246?  No, because it's not a word.  Yes, this is less intuitive for us
native english speakers, but there is no room for ambiguity.  I'm not
suggestion we should switch everything to numeric values (would never happen
anyway).  However, this argument that non-native english speakers have been
making for a while is making more and more sense to me.

Zeke

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 8:21 AM, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com