[Tagging] football or soccer ?

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 15:55:07 BST 2010

2010/6/30 Zeke Farwell <ezekielf at gmail.com>:
> Wow….  after following the back and forth on this thread I'm really starting
> to understand the argument for numeric tagging schemes
> sport=305 (american football)
> sport=246 (association football, football, soccer, calcio, etc…)
> sport=220 (rugby)
> Is anyone going to get insulted that the tag for football/soccer/whatever is
> 246?  No, because it's not a word.  Yes, this is less intuitive for us
> native english speakers, but there is no room for ambiguity.  I'm not
> suggestion we should switch everything to numeric values (would never happen
> anyway).  However, this argument that non-native english speakers have been
> making for a while is making more and more sense to me.

nice idea ;-), I am curious how error proof this system could be (have
a look at all the typos in our data) and how someone will invent a new
tag and "simply use it" (like generally suggested). Also I'd consider
not only tagging the value as number but the key as well (e.g. someone
playing chess might be insulted that chess is considered "sport"). A
simple list in the wiki would be sufficient ;-)
123=246
and if you invent a new key, simply raise the number.
e.g. 43542=4
This sounds like real fun, even though autocompletion might turn out
to be less useful then...

cheers,
Martin