[Tagging] US Speed Limits, truck routes, bike routes, access

Andre Engels andreengels at gmail.com
Sat Mar 6 10:33:00 GMT 2010

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 11:32 PM, Alan Mintz
<Alan_Mintz+OSM at earthlink.net> wrote:

> 1. How should one tag "suggested" speeds (usually around curves) like
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:MUTCD_W1-4.svg with
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Advisory_Curve_Speed_English_25.svg ?
> Should I tag them as maxspeed=*? I can see being cited for exceeding it
> according to the blanket "safe speed" provisions in some vehicle codes[1].

There's a separate tag for that:

recommended_speed=*

(snip)

> 8. In rural areas especially, there is often confusion between county
> records, existing databases (e.g. TIGER, TeleAtlas), and posted signs, as
> to what portion of a road is considered "private". This is an area where I
> believe OSM and actual in-person surveying has the potential for great
> value over other maps. I'd like to create a node where I first see a "No
> Trespassing" sign (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:No_trespassing_sign.jpg).
>
> Should I tag the node access=private [+source=* +source_ref=*]? I'll note
> that JOSM has an icon for access=no, but not access=private. I can then tag
> the way with source:access=* +source_ref:access=*.

I don't think that's a good idea. The "no trespassing" sign does not
mean "you may not be (exactly) here" but "you may not go beyond this
point". The access tag thus should be on the way beyond the sign, in
my opinion.

André Engels, andreengels at gmail.com