[Tagging] [OSM-talk] [tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - (amenity=ice_cream)

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 13:33:32 GMT 2010

2010/3/8 Pieren <pieren3 at gmail.com>:
> On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 1:41 PM, colliar <colliar4ever at aol.com> wrote:
>> We should either introduces tags like craft_shop/services/office for
>> example
> +1
> There is already an informal proposal for craft :
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:MaZderMind/Key:craft
>
> About 'office', it was already discussed here and I'm ready to add a
> proposal on the wiki but I'm still looking for a good description (and the
> limits between office/shop/amenity).

offices are mainly not intended to be open for the public, while shops
are. Amenities can be everything as they are synonymous for POI. IMHO
we should generally try not to classify new features as amenities but
to be more specific. This also allows for easier multitagging (shops
that also offer services for instance).

Basically there are at least these kind of classes:
services offered in shops to everyone: stuff like hairdressers,
mechanics (car repair)
merchants in shops open to everyone: like hardware store, supermarket,
supplies, car dealer, ...
work shops generally not intended for the public: e.g. crafts like
roofers, carpenters, b2b
offices for all kind of administration (not open to the public)
public offices (governmental) - open to the public and/or not open to the public
offices for production/design/services (usually open by
appointment)... like architects, engineers, solicitors, insurance
brokers, ...

many shops can not be classified in just one category, e.g. a bakery
is often not only selling bread but also baking it (and the info
whether they bake or sell industrial stuff _is_ IMHO important), a
florist is not only selling flowers but also arranging them, ...
The rule could be here: if they are generally open to the public in a
shop they should be tagged shop. The fact if they are only selling or
also producing could be another tag.

cheers,
Martin