[Tagging] US Speed Limits, truck routes, bike routes, access

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Sun Mar 7 21:24:38 GMT 2010

Anthony wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 3:43 AM, Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> wrote:
>
>> The school zone ends where the next speed zone starts.
>

> Hmm, I just checked a school zone near my house and I don't think that's
> correct.  The 35 Mph sign comes before for the End School Zone sign.  Do you
> have any source for that?

Yeah, the US Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices.
http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/HTM/2003r1/part7/fig7b-03_longdesc.htm

> I thought school zones were designated by statute, not by sign.  The signs
> are just there to remind people of the statute.

The signs themselves do have consistency standards at the national
level.  Placing another speed limit sign before an "end school zone"
sign suggests your local traffic engineer either can't read a manual
or takes no pride in his job.

>> I'm not sure
>> what FHWA's thinking was with the End School Zone sign (what about
>> traffic that doesn't remember what the previous speed zone was
>> because they turned into the school zone at a midpoint?).
>>

> What about traffic that turns in a school zone when it's not school hours?

In most cases they'll be able to see the next speed limit sign as
school zones rarely round tight curves.