[Tagging] Fixed position GPS receivers

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Thu May 20 11:58:35 BST 2010

On 20 May 2010 20:44, Jean-Guilhem Cailton <jgc at arkemie.com> wrote:
> Compared with the monitoring sites with other purposes (nice aircraft
> noise tracking site by the way), I thought that at least for the

It tracks aircraft too :)

> positioning systems monitoring sites, precise lat/lon should be available.

They also still use imperial notation for lat/lon (DDMMSS.SSSS) even
if they are using fractions of seconds, instead of decimal degrees...
Although the datum is the most annoying, especially when they're
monitoring WGS84 signals!

> Looking at the Toulouse log file (and Bucarest's as well), it seemed to
> use ITRF reference system (International Terrestrial Reference Frame -
> http://itrf.ensg.ign.fr/), apparently fairly close to WGS84 for OSM
> purposes (ftp://itrf.ensg.ign.fr/pub/itrf/WGS84.TXT).

Most should be within a few metres of the WGS84 position, although
over time and plates slipping things will drift.

I wonder if new regional datums will be published to move things back
closer to WGS84?