[Tagging] Proposed feature : World wide place=* standardisation only based on population

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Fri May 28 12:24:17 BST 2010

On 28 May 2010 21:16, sly (sylvain letuffe) <liste at letuffe.org> wrote:
> It makes it quite hard for newcomers to guess in wich case they should use
> wich place, and that proposal tries to help have a first easy step to record
> at least a population estimation.

I think you summed this up nicely about people expecting to see place
names at certain zoom levels, I think you proposal only serves to
confuse the matter for several reasons and trying to pigeon hole
things by correlating the importance of a place based only on it's
population isn't it, not to mention that you've also included several
more place types as well.

People should do what they already do for other tags, see what others
have done near by, check the wiki/osmdoc etc, and if that doesn't work
ask on a mailing list.