[Tagging] Proposed feature : World wide place=* standardisation only based on population

Simone Saviolo simone.saviolo at gmail.com
Fri May 28 12:38:31 BST 2010

>On jeudi 27 mai 2010, Simone Saviolo wrote:
>> -1, if it's exclusively population-based. The risk is that the US have
>> tenths of cities and smaller countries - say, dunno, Uganda - get
>> none.
>Well, this is the truth ;-) based on such a scale. I don't see any problem in
>uganda having no megacity, because it's what is.

While I can understand about megacities, I don't agree about cities.
Uganda has cities [1] that are much smaller than centres that would be
towns in the USA. There's no point in saying "Uganda is not entitled
to have cities because it has too little a population".

> On vendredi 28 mai 2010, Simone Saviolo wrote:
>> consequence, while it is good to see the map of France showing five
>> cities, Italy's map should instead contain a few tenths. Of course,
>> this cannot be achieved if we only look at population - especially if
>> we want to use a world-wide population criterion.
>>
>> I hope the idea is clear.
> Unfortunetly, I think I get it, you have invented/searched perfect Italian
> thresholds in order to make the mapnik at osm.org map look what you are used to
> see. Maybe you endeded to 47000 people max for a city In order that city X of
> 46999 isn't shown, because it's administrative role is not enough to apear at
> zoom 10 ?
> Wich, in other words is a way to say you addapted the tagging of places to the
> actual mapnik style sheet at osm.org. Is osmarender rendering the way you
> want ? maybe no... Will it survive the next mapnik at osm.org stylesheet
> update ? maybe no...
> I don't blame that need, of course, mapnik at osm.org is the perfect portal of
> the projet, and it needs to bring a decent map that every country is happy
> with, but that's tagging for the/a renderer.

No, you got it wrong. We didn't create a list of cities so that Mapnik
showed the labels, but we created a list of cities because *those*
*are* the cities in Italy.

Ciao,

Simone

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_and_towns_in_Uganda