[Tagging] communal learning spaces / training areas

Emilie Laffray emilie.laffray at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 20:25:55 GMT 2010

On 2 November 2010 20:11, Elizabeth Dodd <edodd at billiau.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Nov 2010 13:31:31 -0400
> Eric Brelsford <ebrelsford at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > For all of these spaces, the classes are short-term and informal.
> > Part of me wants to tag them as informal training spaces (to avoid
> > overloading amenity=school), but I'm not too keen on bloating
> > amenity=*, either, by adding something like amenity=informal_training
> > or amenity=informal_school.
>
> A logical method would be to make Key=education and then have
> variations documented there.
>
> Let's wait and see what other ideas are presented before formally
> suggesting such a concept.

One of the way we have been dealing with the concept in France is to use two
keys
amenity=school|college|university|......
school:fr=lycee|college|BTS|IUT|.....
allowing us to keep the compatibility with an international standard with
roughly the same age or qualification while clarifying the exact tag for
what it means in France. Education is one area that is hugely different all
around the world and we have to be careful in introducing a key education as
everyone will rightfully claim that their system is better while everything
is relative.

Emily Laffray