[Tagging] url vs. website

Ulf Lamping ulf.lamping at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 4 07:06:52 GMT 2010

Am 04.11.2010 06:17, schrieb Paul Johnson:
> On 11/03/2010 01:39 PM, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>> The mapfeatures declare that url should not be used and website should
>> be used instead. Is this a common agreement? I find url used 3,5 times
>> more often (260 000) then website (66 800) in the database.
>
> I don't think it's a common agreement by any means, URL is more
> universal and includes websites;

Well, url is a bit too generic IMHO and comes from the days when it was
completely unclear how urls and alike will be tagged by our mappers.

In common use today is:

website=
image=
wikipedia=
email=
(... and url=)

Don't know if that qualifies as url being "deprecated" though ;-)

For some time there was quite a confusion between url and website, and
people used url where website really would fit better as it is more
specific both for mappers and data users alike.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't use url at all, but if you tag the
website for a specific object, you should use website rather than url.

Think of "use url if you know what you are doing, website probably
better suits what you want to tag" :-)

> websites excludes many types of URLs.

I've not seen a lot else used than the above mentioned so far ...

Regards, ULFL