[Tagging] quarries in engineering

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Fri Nov 5 19:25:54 GMT 2010

On 11/5/10 3:05 PM, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer wrote:

> thanks for all your comments so far.
>
> could a clay pit that is used only to excavate clay be put under
> quarry, or would that be missleading? I know that these are all
> open-cast mines, but the wikipedia entry for quarry seems somehow not
> precise enough when it comes to delimiting the usage.
i'd consider it acceptable usage in the context of OSM.
it might initially confuse someone who had never
considered the question before but then there's lots
of stuff in the osm wiki like that.

the operative issue is that you're digging a hole or
excavating the side of a hill or something to access
mineral resources. that's quarrying.

richard