[Tagging] quarries in engineering

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 21:03:37 GMT 2010

2010/11/5 Richard Welty <rwelty at averillpark.net>:
> it might initially confuse someone who had never
> considered the question before but then there's lots
> of stuff in the osm wiki like that.

while that is true, I still hope we can do better now and in the future.

> the operative issue is that you're digging a hole or
> excavating the side of a hill or something to access
> mineral resources. that's quarrying.

yes, but under water? Usually quarries try to get rid of the water if
there is some, but I'm not sure if this is part of the definition or
it is just a misconception on behalf of me. The question about the
clay is headed towards the grain size. Basically stone and clay are
the same, it's just the grain size. Still quarry might not be a
generic word for this --- or it might be.

cheers,
Martin