[Tagging] Tidying up arts venues

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sat Nov 6 11:07:20 GMT 2010

2010/11/6 Tom Chance <tom at acrewoods.net>:
> Hello,
> After bringing the tourism=gallery proposal to a long-overdue vote, I'd like
> to see what people think about the other tags for "arts" (in the broadest
> sense) venues. Looking around London, where there are thousands of arts
> venues, we have some fairly confused tagging and a huge number of
> internationally reputable venues missing.
> We currently have agreed tags:
> * amenity=arts_centre
> * amenity=cinema
> * amenity=nightclub
> * amenity=theatre
> * tourism=artwork
> * tourism=museum
> In proposed features we have:
> * tourism=gallery (for
> vote: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Art_gallery)
> * tourism=music_venue
> (abandoned: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Music_venue)
> So...

not to forget
historic=monument and memorial

what about changing tourism=museum/artwork to culture? culture=museum, artwork

What about subtagging art galleries:
culture=museum
museum:theme=art_gallery

I feel that tourism=gallery is less then clear, at least it could be
art_gallery, because gallery has a hell lot of significations and
tourism can't clear that either.

Cheers,
Martin