[Tagging] Tidying up arts venues

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Sat Nov 6 11:39:07 GMT 2010

On 6 November 2010 11:29, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>wrote:

> 2010/11/6 Tom Chance <tom at acrewoods.net>:
>
> > Should I tidy up the music_venue proposal and bring it to a vote under
> the
> > tourism key
> > Is the current split between amenity / tourism about right?
>

> no, it is completly pointless to put a museum, art_gallery, artwork or
> music_venue in the same category with tags like tourism=information.
> The first have nothing more to do with tourism than a subway station
> or a restaurant.
>
> IMHO we should have a new main tag "culture".

I like the idea of a "culture" key. Would you like to draft a proposal?

For now, in the absence of that key, we have to decide whether these
features sit in amenity or tourism. The wiki makes the distinction by saying
that amenities are "important" and tourist features are other interesting
things to see. So I think it makes sense for current proposals like art
galleries to sit in tourism, and perhaps in the future to move those along
with theatres, cinemas, nightclubs, etc. under a culture key if that
proposal was voted through.

Regards,
Tom