[Tagging] Theatre genres

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 11:18:11 GMT 2010

2010/11/9 Tom Chance <tom at acrewoods.net>:
> Further to the culture proposal discussions...
>
> Can anyone tell me where the various theatre:genre tags were discussed, put
> through the proposal process and voted on? I can only find evidence on the
> wiki of the original proposal in 2006 for amenity=theatre (which I voted
> for).
>
> It looks like they were added without any proper discussion in February this
> year:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:amenity%3Dtheatre&action=history
>
> The reason I ask is that the values pose two big problems.
>
> The first problem is that there is no way to be explicit "this theatre shows
> both drama, cabaret, musical theatre and comedy". One could just not define
> the genres to imply multiple values, but then with such a range of genres
> available it could be mistaken for a concert hall or a puppet theatre.
>
> The second problem is the whole music category, which I think belongs in a
> separate amenity/culture tag. In English, you would very rarely use the word
> "theatre" in connection with a place where you appreciate musical
> performances. They are concert halls, music venues, etc. If I download OSM
> data and find a node tagged as amenity=theatre, I shouldn't need to delve
> into all the other tags to discover that it isn't actually a theatre at all
> - that it is in fact a local rock music venue or the country's most
> prestigious concert hall.
>
> I would like to remove those genre tags and put them through a proper
> proposal. Any thoughts?

I won't remove them all, as some are quite useful and I was happy to
find them some time ago, when I tagged a special kind of theatre, but
I agree that there is some problem, and that the music part is not
well hosted there. I would go through them (possibly here on the list)
and remove those that are not fitting well.

Cheers,
Martin