[Tagging] Call for German, French, Russian & Japanese updates for changed tag

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 17:23:41 GMT 2010

2010/11/22 Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net>:

> Tom Chance wrote:
>> When that happens, the only logical course of action is to update the
>> wiki documentation showing the new tags and removing the
>> deprecated tags. It makes no sense to continue telling people about
>> deprecated tags.
>
> Even accepting that there is such a thing as a "deprecated tag" (which I and
> many others don't), the wiki is not just there as mapper documentation: it's
> documentation for data users, too.
>
> If someone downloads a planet file and wants to know "what does this tag
> mean?", they'll look for the documentation of that tag. So don't delete it.

as it's a Wiki and given the structure of OSM you would in any case
have to look at all versions, and how long they were displayed, with
which comments they were changed, which were the parallel discussions
on the mailing lists, etc., and not just rely on the current wiki page
for the feature ;-)

cheers,
Martin