[Tagging] Call for German, French, Russian & Japanese updates for changed tag

Ulf Lamping ulf.lamping at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 22 21:47:00 GMT 2010

Am 22.11.2010 22:28, schrieb "Petr Morávek [Xificurk]":
> Ulf Lamping napsal(a):
>> First of all, please repeat a hundred times on the blackboard: There's
>> no such thing as a deprecated tag in OSM. Especially not, if the new
>> proposal is only a few weeks old ;-)
>
> Sure there are deprecated tags in OSM - it doesn't mean that they are
> not used in the database or that editor is "forbidden" to use them... it
> simply means they are deprecate in favor of a better tagging scheme. If
> someone thinks that the new tagging scheme is not "better", then he/she
> should open discussion about its problems, preferably in mailing list or
> on wiki itself.

You didn't get the smiley ;-)

Sure, there are tags that you could call deprecated, highway=minor would
be an example - no one would actually encourage to use this tag any more.

But - simply because some people written a proposal and voted upon it,
doesn't automatically deprecate the former widely used tag.

You could call it deprecated if the vast majority of mappers would see
it that way and no one would actually encourage to use the "old" tag any
more. Which is really not the case here.

Regards, ULFL

P.S: If the "old" tag would be there only for a weeks (or maybe even a
small amount of months) and not very widely used I wouldn't insist for a
clean way of change. But the "old" definition is there for years and a
few (ten?) thousand times used.