[Tagging] Call for German, French, Russian & Japanese updates for changed tag

"Petr Morávek [Xificurk]" xificurk at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 21:57:02 GMT 2010

Ulf Lamping napsal(a):
> Am 22.11.2010 22:28, schrieb "Petr Morávek [Xificurk]":
>> Ulf Lamping napsal(a):
>>> First of all, please repeat a hundred times on the blackboard: There's
>>> no such thing as a deprecated tag in OSM. Especially not, if the new
>>> proposal is only a few weeks old ;-)
>>
>> Sure there are deprecated tags in OSM - it doesn't mean that they are
>> not used in the database or that editor is "forbidden" to use them... it
>> simply means they are deprecate in favor of a better tagging scheme. If
>> someone thinks that the new tagging scheme is not "better", then he/she
>> should open discussion about its problems, preferably in mailing list or
>> on wiki itself.
>
> You didn't get the smiley ;-)

Yeah, right, I'm a little slow :-)

I admit, I haven't look into this particular case, but I think it is
desirable to somehow mark these "deprecated" tags (I can't figure out a
better word). OK, saying "deprecated" right away might be a little
harsh, but there should be some note pointing to a new tag and
suggesting that it would be probably a good idea to use that one.

Petr