[Tagging] [Talk-us] stop signs

Peter Wendorff wendorff at uni-paderborn.de
Tue Oct 26 20:19:49 BST 2010

Am 26.10.2010 20:35, schrieb Anthony:
>> Perhaps you are right - but please, can you give me an example?
>> I cannot imagine why there should be a stop sign without intersection.
> I'll try to get you an example, but first you have to precisely define
> "intersection" using words like "way", "node", "highway", "barrier",
> "traffic_calming", etc.
I know stop signs (these octagonal red traffic signs with text telling
"stop" inside - in any language perhaps) at intersecions only.

An intersection for me is a "point" in space where more streets join
together, so that you have a choice where to go next even without
turning around and going back.

In OSM terms an intersection would be a node shared by three or more way
segments (meaning: parts of ways). Each of these ways is tagged as
highway=* describing a street or way (in non-osm term meaning). There
can be a way tagged as railway=* also, I think.

Barrier and traffic_calming can be near to an intersection, but have
nothing to do with a stop sign.
To regulate the right of way at traffic calmings/barriers where only one
vehicle can pass at once, I know this sign:
http://www.fahrschule.de/gfx2/1_4_42_107.gif (or with arrows colored
vice versa)

regards

Peter