[Tagging] [Talk-us] stop signs

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Tue Oct 26 20:31:42 BST 2010

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 3:19 PM, Peter Wendorff
<wendorff at uni-paderborn.de> wrote:
> Am 26.10.2010 20:35, schrieb Anthony:
>>>
>>> Perhaps you are right - but please, can you give me an example?
>>> I cannot imagine why there should be a stop sign without intersection.
>>
>> I'll try to get you an example, but first you have to precisely define
>> "intersection" using words like "way", "node", "highway", "barrier",
>> "traffic_calming", etc.
>
> I know stop signs (these octagonal red traffic signs with text telling
> "stop" inside - in any language perhaps) at intersecions only.
>
> An intersection for me is a "point" in space where more streets join
> together, so that you have a choice where to go next even without turning
> around and going back.

Only streets?  What about a crosswalk, or a railroad crossing?

You have to have a choice?  An onramp is not an intersection?  A
T-intersection with two one-way roads?

> In OSM terms an intersection would be a node shared by three or more way
> segments (meaning: parts of ways). Each of these ways is tagged as highway=*
> describing a street or way (in non-osm term meaning). There can be a way
> tagged as railway=* also, I think.

Okay, well, one clear exception would be
http://www.losgatosobserver.com/los-gatos/article-images/2008/03/bridge06.jpg

Furthermore, I think such a definition of intersection would break in
cases where there is a driveway (or cycleway, or service exit, or
crosswalk, or railroad crossing), right before an intersection, closer
to the stop line than the intersection.  I don't have any pictures of
that at the moment, though.