[Tagging] [Talk-us] stop signs

Peter Wendorff wendorff at uni-paderborn.de
Wed Oct 27 17:47:02 BST 2010

Am 27.10.2010 17:24, schrieb Anthony:
> Yeah, that's pretty much what I said above.
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/compass
>
> I vote for highway=stop + compass=X on the way at the stop line plus
> traffic_sign=stop + compass=X at the actual stop sign location.
> Actually, I don't "vote" for anything.  The tag highway=stop is
> already being used this way (sans compass=X), the tag
> traffic_sign=stop is the obvious extension of traffic_sign=*, and
> compass=X is unlikely to interfere with anyone else's tagging
> (although if there is already a tag for this then I'll use that
> instead).  The use of compass=X is obviously optional, but it gives a
> way to be explicit in the normal case and gives a way to correct the
> default in the exceptional case.  Without editor support it probably
> won't be heavily used, but oh well.  In the meantime, if someone wants
> to use the tag stop:direction=forward/backward, a bot could go through
> the db periodically and fix that into compass=X (when there is only
> one way, and the direction of the underlying way has not changed since
> the tag was added).
-1
I would prefer the forward/backword against compass. To deal with
forward/backward neither an editor nor an application has to deal with
the real geometry, and the mapper don't need to calculate the heading.

Another point is: if forward/backward is used, a mapper can see with
common knowledge, that tagging a stop sign at the intersection node is
no good idea. Compass could in theory be tagged at the intersecting
node, too. It's possible and with resolution of some meters in mind it's
"exactly enough" for some people. Drawback would obviously be to tag
more than one heading direction at once, but I'm sure there will be
people tagging compass=X,Y as multivalue property.

regards
Peter