[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - power generator rationalisation

Peter Wendorff wendorff at uni-paderborn.de
Fri Sep 3 23:52:30 BST 2010

  On 04.09.2010 00:16, Pierre-Alain Dorange wrote:
> Tom Chance<tom at acrewoods.net>  wrote:
>
>> Please vote on my proposal:
>>
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/generator_rationalisation
>>
>> It has gone through several weeks of discussion on this list and on the
>> wiki. I have made significant changes to the proposal to make it as flexible
>> as seems sensible.
>>
>> If voted through, I will look at updating existing data in OpenStreetMap.
> I do not follow this discussion, but automatic data update is generally
> not welcome on OSM.
> It can/would modify data made by people that don't know your discussion
> and would be hurt by a big modification behind there back.
>
> I think it would be preferable before any automatic update to contact at
> less the people that create lot of generator it inform then directly.
> Dont assume all osmer read this list.
+1
In this case as far as I can see the proposal only defines new Tags to
replace the old ones.
AS that does not affect the old data I would agree with automatic
updates in this case, as long as the old tags are not deleted during the
update.
Of course that produces redundant data - but it solves the problem you
mention, and afaik doesn't create other problems:
- the old stuff stays in the database (as long as nobody deletes it by hand)
- the new stuff comes into the database and mappers dealing with
generators learn about it due to wiki lookups after the changes.

With this in mind:
automatic additions are okay (using a little bit brain), automatic
deletions should be avoided from my POV.

regards
Peter