[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - power generator rationalisation

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Mon Sep 6 09:09:53 BST 2010

Andre,

On 4 September 2010 15:11, André Riedel <riedel.andre at gmail.com> wrote:

> There are still some mismatches between source and method.
>
> e.g. generator:source=nuclear, generator:methode=fission
> A nuclear fission do not creates electricity it only creates a steam
> to power a turbine.

This is really unecessary and pedantic. Every person with any application in
mind for real-world generators (as opposed to school physics lessons on the
theory of generation) would understand and appreciate what is meant by the
proposed tags.

Nobody needs the tag to be
"generator:method=fission-creating-steam-to-power-a-turbine-that-induces-an-electric-current",
or
"generator:method=gasifiying-the-waste-municipal-wood-which-is-then-burnt-at-a-high-temperature-to-avoid-tar-buildup-to-produce-steam-driving-an-electromagnetic-induction-method-turbine".

> And I still did not know how to tag a heating (only) station without
> braking the current software. [3]
>
> See also:
> 1.
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Proposed_features/generator_rationalisation
> 2.
> http://gis.638310.n2.nabble.com/RFC-generator-for-power-generator-features-td5465129.html#a5465129
> 3. http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/images/4/41/Power_line-in-germany.png

That's extremely simple to answer. If Bahnpirat wanted to maintain that
image only showing _electricity_ generators he/she would simply make use of
the "generator:output" tags to filter out any that produce heat/steam/other
outputs.

Regards,
Tom