[Tagging] RFC: more barrier types

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Mon Sep 20 23:41:04 BST 2010

  On 9/20/10 6:28 PM, John Smith wrote:
> On 21 September 2010 08:03, Richard Welty<rwelty at averillpark.net>  wrote:
>>   On 9/20/10 5:35 PM, John Smith wrote:
>>> What about water filled plastic barriers?
>>>

>>> http://www.made-in-china.com/showroom/resourcesint/product-detailzqMJlfFDaQGv/China-Water-Filled-Plastic-Barrier.html
>>>
>>> They may not be permanent, but some stay in place for long periods of
>>> time.
>>>
>> these are a variant on the "Fitch Barrier":
> To me these are distinct, one is used to reduce accidents on highway
> exits, the other is a barrier to prevent people entering... I've
> rarely seen the accident prevention kind, but the barrier kind is used
> here very often, they some times/also use a concrete barrier that is
> in the same shape, these are less used because you need a fork lift or
> similar to lift them into place, the plastic ones can be easily moves
> about when there isn't any water inside.

the general term is Attenuator, and in all cases, they're plastic containers
filled with water or sand, and are frequently semi permanent. attenuator
covers both the round Fitch barrier style and the ones that look more like
New Jersey barrier such as are shown at the link in the original posting.

both are used to provide for a softer collision than concrete. the spots
where they are used do differ a bit.

there are actually a lot of Fitch barriers in the US. while Fitch is
British, i think he had moved to the US before he came up with
them, and he got a lot of traction with them as a safety device
here. i'll ask him for details the next time i see him.

richard