[Tagging] amenity=ice_cream: approved?

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 13:40:24 BST 2010

2010/9/27 Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com>:
> On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 3:48 AM, David Paleino <dapal at debian.org> wrote:
>> On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 21:26:27 -0400, Nathan Edgars II wrote:
>>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Proposed_features%2FIce_cream&action=historysubmit&diff=532984&oldid=531944
>>> This doesn't seem quite right.
>> 27-18 + 1 abstain, seems an "approved" to me. Controversial, yes, but approved.

+1

> Almost every one of those approves is by someone living in Italy,
> which suggests discussion on the Italian mailing list or other
> discussion among a small group in an echo chamber.

which is not a real problem but should be considered positively:
Someone discusses first and then brings an already mature proposal to
the tagging list.

> It's very
> possible that the outcome would have been different had it been
> announced here promptly (or, to be fair, it may have been the same,
> with the Italian bloc voting the same way).

exactly, why should the outcome be different? Everyone had it's chance
to put a vote.

> And now we have a tag that replaces all ice cream places, thus
> providing less information than the former amenity=cafe/fast_food/etc.
> cuisine=ice_cream. How is this a good thing?

This is not a problem IMHO, the problem is the bad definitions. There
are several types of ice_cream-shops IMHO:

- the typical italian "gelateria", which could be seen as subtype of a
confectionery (that's probably the one amenity=ice_cream aims at).
Could also be just a stand selling ice_cream

- the typical "italian" ice cream parlour one outside Italy
(amenity=cafe, cuisine=ice_cream; usually service at the table)

- while the first 2 have ice_cream as their main business, there
should be an additional tag for places that sell, besides other
things, also ice_cream (ice_cream=yes).

Of course the "italian" is not a requisite, it could as well be
"american" ice_cream, soft ice, etc.

Additionally I'd like to have at least 2 values to differentiate the
type of ice_cream: artisanal and industrial (maybe your frozen yogurt
could find a place here).

Please also note that I live in Italy and voted no ;-)

cheers,
Martin