[Tagging] inconsistencies in bridge

Lennard ldp at xs4all.nl
Mon Sep 27 17:37:40 BST 2010

On 27-9-2010 17:48, Dave F. wrote:

> Many railways in the UK, following Doctor Beeching's cuts, were
> abandoned, but much infrastructure, such as bridges, remain, & are unused.

If there's a usable bridge, it's bridge=yes. If there's no usable
bridge, it's ruins=bridge or not even that.

> is legitimate & accurate.

And when I cycle such a thing and want to map it, it's:

highway=cycleway

And I'm done. How am I to know there used to be rails infrastructure
there, years (and years) ago?

But I'm biased. We render them on the mapnik map, and that's mostly
where my discomfort stems from. It would be fine to have the tags just
for the purpose of generating dedicated railways maps that also show all
the glory of past, but what the heck are they doing on the current map?

--
Lennard