[Tagging] inconsistencies in bridge

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Mon Sep 27 18:17:01 BST 2010

  On 27/09/2010 17:37, Lennard wrote:
> And when I cycle such a thing and want to map it, it's:
>
> highway=cycleway
>
> And I'm done. How am I to know there used to be rails infrastructure
> there, years (and years) ago?

If you know - tag it; if not - don't. It's not vital, but could be useful.

> But I'm biased. We render them on the mapnik map, and that's mostly
> where my discomfort stems from. It would be fine to have the tags just
> for the purpose of generating dedicated railways maps that also show
> all the glory of past, but what the heck are they doing on the current
> map?

I partially agree with you.

If it's a physical entity that was an old railway line but is still
visible, such a bridge or a cutting/embankment, map & tag it, including
the railway=abandoned tag if you're aware of it.

However if there is *no* visible evidence of it then it shouldn't be
mapped. OSM is for current data only.

Historical maps should use OSM as background & overlay such data, but
*not* include it in the database?

Cheers
Dave F.