[Tagging] Any support for a flow tag?

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 16:24:42 BST 2011

2011/4/1 Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com>

> On 4/1/2011 10:38 AM, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>
>> Yes of course. I set FIXME=please check flow direction if I am unsure
>> (usually you can deduct the flow direction but there is rare cases where
>> it is not possible).
>>
> With manmade channels it's far from rare. Example:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?way=73765043
>

> > I have never come across a waterway with changing
>
>> flow direction,
>>

> http://my.sfwmd.gov/portal/page/portal/xrepository/sfwmd_repository_pdf/lake_management_area_descriptions.pdf
> "The smaller S-58 water control structure located at the north end of Trout
> Lake generally acts as the drainage divide for flows through the KCOL. This
> is the case except under very high water conditions when water can be
> released northward through the C-32C Canal into the Lake Preston, Myrtle,
> and Joel LMA."

not sure if this is a case for common waterways (or if it is another type),
but sounds as if it were and if you needed 2 waterways to model this (one
for the standard, and one for the high water conditions when water is
released into another direction, if I get this right (sounds like an
overfall).

> There's also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reversing_Falls (which in a
> general sense is oneway into the sea but on a large scale reverses daily).

If I get this right it is seawater, so IMHO the listed waterways are not
suitable.

cheers,
Martin