[Tagging] New proposal: water=*

Ilya Zverev zverik at textual.ru
Fri Apr 1 16:43:29 BST 2011

On Fri, 1 Apr 2011 17:35:37 +0200, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer
<dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:

>> what natural=water on an area means. Is this area a lake, a pond? We
have
>> no means to determine that now.
>
> could you expand what a "pond" is? I get several translations for this,
> ranging from natural to artificial bodies of water.

I stick to wikipedia's definition: "a body of standing water, either
natural or man-made, that is usually smaller than a lake". If it has "Pond"
in the name — it is a pond. Probably it's what you call a fountain (?).

> How do you suggest
> would a large fountain (not sure if "fountain" applies to the kind of big
flat
> water areas you can typically find in front of castles which are
positioned
> there to reflect the castle?) be tagged?

(wiki.osm.org)
"...most fountains should be tagged as nodes amenity=fountain representing
the location of the fountain sitting within an area of natural=water" (plus
water=pond on the area, since fountains are usually found in [man-made]
bodies of standing water).

IZ