[Tagging] Nuclear Key

Ulf Lamping ulf.lamping at googlemail.com
Sat Apr 2 11:11:03 BST 2011

Am 02.04.2011 11:03, schrieb David Murn:

>>> Excellent example of wiki fiddling ...
>>

>> at least this was discussed and voted about:
>
> Im sure I remember seeing this discussed either on here or possibly on
> the talk list, and I personally received an email from the proposer
> since Ive added some power stations and presumably the proposer emailed
> a bunch of people he thought would be interested.
>
> If someone comes up with a proposal, discusses it on mailing lists,
> emails current users of the tag, casts and finishes a vote, how on earth
> can you call it wiki-fiddling?  Just because someone changed the wiki to
> something some people disagree with, doesnt mean its a case of
> 'wiki-fiddling'.

Yes, but if someone tries to change an existing and working schema with
something slightly different - that could be integrated with minor
changes into the existing schema - I'll call that wiki fiddling,
regardless if a vote was done or not.

This way we'll have to change each and every tag every year because
someone finds the "new and improved" way to do things as the current tag
fashion expects him to.

*... and I'll especially call it wiki fiddling if the currently widely
used tags are removed from the wiki without even keeping a note of the
old tags.*

Please keep your hands off existing documentation of widely used tags,
unless you know exactly what you are doing ...

Regards, ULFL

P.S.: I have helped to transform the formerly used tagging schema, e.g.
man_made=power_wind to the current one because the initial way really
lacked a lot of things. The recent change causes a lot of trouble and
doesn't add a lot of benefit the way it is done.