[Tagging] Sports_centre, gym, dojo

Sun Apr 10 18:09:17 BST 2011

At 2011-04-09 20:41, Brad Neuhauser wrote:
>PS--To me, fitness centre would eliminate any possible confusion with
>other usages of gym or gymnasium, but if gym has already been in wide
>usage, it'll do.

+1 Not that I spend any time there myself :-|, but people that do almost
universally call them gym(s).

>PPS--In the US, "gymnasium" is definitely not limited to places where
>people do gymnastics, as mike said it's a large indoor room for a variety
>of sports--like basketball and volleyball--and also sometimes events like
>assemblies or dances.

... at a school. The long form of the word would normally cause one to
think about such a multi-purpose building at a high school or elementary
school. Colleges and universities generally have separate facilities for
some of those things and name them more specifically. I never hear someone
refer to one of the commercial fitness centers as a gymnasium.

 >I noticed a note on the bottom of the page that a bot changed ~1500 gyms
to sport=gymnastics!?

If so, that was almost certainly wrong if people have been using the term
as per US common usage.