[Tagging] types of surveillance cameras

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Mon Apr 11 08:53:42 BST 2011

Hi all,

I'm starting to map surveillance cameras. Once you start looking for them,
you see them everywhere. I am noticing a two major types. There's what I
call the dome cameras [1] that live in a dome-shaped enclosure and can
probably tilt and swivel to cover a larger area, and there's the static ones
that have a more traditional camera shape [2] and are usually fixed,
pointing in one particular direction. I see no reference to these different
camera types on the wiki for man_made=surveillance. Before I start proposing
tags, I'd like to ask here:

* Does the distinction between dome and static cameras make sense or are
there more major categories?
* Would this be a relevant attribute to tag? I think it is.

[1] streetview link http://goo.gl/maps/xGcz
[2] streetview link http://goo.gl/maps/qkWo

--
Martijn van Exel