[Tagging] types of surveillance cameras

Georg Feddern osm at bavarianmallet.de
Mon Apr 11 09:58:37 BST 2011

Hi,

Martijn van Exel schrieb:
> I am noticing a two major types. There's what I
> call the dome cameras [1] that live in a dome-shaped enclosure and can
> probably tilt and swivel to cover a larger area, and there's the static ones
> that have a more traditional camera shape [2] and are usually fixed,
> pointing in one particular direction.

but do not forget the so-called "vandal dome" cameras which look like a
dome, but are only static/fixed types.
Or the 360° cameras which look like a big raindrop only ...

> * Does the distinction between dome and static cameras make sense or are
> there more major categories?

Ask yourself the question "What info do I get with this distinction?"
I think, the only info is a "Maybe ..."

A 'normal' mapper can not see the difference between a real PTZ-Dome or
a vandal-dome camera - you may even do not see, in which direction the
latter is mounted.
Also not the difference between a fixed mounted static camera and a
fixed mounted zoom camera.

> * Would this be a relevant attribute to tag? I think it is.

My conclusion:
You can not easily map the correct type of camera - and you can not
estimate the surveyed area or details without the technical data of the
camera.
So I think it is not - at least I won't trust these attributes. ;-)
Tag the manufacturer and the model instead. ;-)