[Tagging] Traffic Lights, but only for one direction on a highway that isn't divided

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 07:32:05 BST 2011

On 4/13/2011 1:45 AM, James Mast wrote:
> So does anybody have any suggestions on how to deal with something like
> this? Here's my example:
>
> Here in Pittsburgh, when you're coming off I-579 going towards the South
> Hills across the Liberty Bridge, you encounter two sets of traffic
> lights (one before you get onto the bridge, and one on the bridge)
> because of two ramps that dump traffic onto it. The traffic lights are
> for outbound traffic only, as inbound (to Downtown Pittsburgh) traffic
> don't have to deal with them. Here are the locations of both sets:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/684666723 &
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/684666821.

There is precedent for simply treating this as an ordinary traffic
light, as sometimes there are lights that never turn red (due to lack of
conflicting movements). For example, the rightmost lane here:
http://maps.google.com/maps?gl=us&ll=28.494116,-81.374702&spn=0.031494,0.082397&z=15&layer=c&cbll=28.49391,-81.3746&panoid=eqI0xGud1eZG-Wa8mhMJbg&cbp=12,180.41,,0,3.52