[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - addr keys (2011-04)

SK53 on OSM SK53_osm at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Apr 25 15:51:14 BST 2011

On 25/04/2011 15:20, Brad Neuhauser wrote:
> In the US, this is usually generically called a "unit"--for a full
> list of USPS "secondary units":
> http://www.usps.com/ncsc/lookups/usps_abbreviations.html#secunitdesig  You
> can see Suite is one of these, along with Apartment and many others.
>
> This page collects info about worldwide mail systems, at least Canada
> and Australia seem to have unit designations similar to the US:
> http://www.bitboost.com/ref/international-address-formats.html
>
> Royal Mail does have a way to search for flat number, but didn't see
> anything more than that on their website.
> http://postcode.royalmail.com/portal/rm/postcodefinder?pageId=pcaf_pc_search&postcodeSearchType=detailed&catId=28400668
> <http://postcode.royalmail.com/portal/rm/postcodefinder?pageId=pcaf_pc_search&postcodeSearchType=detailed&catId=28400668>  Guess
> this leaves us with Richard's question: is there a different British term?
>
> Brad
>
> On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 8:57 AM, Richard Welty <rwelty at averillpark.net
> <mailto:rwelty at averillpark.net>> wrote:
>
>     On 4/25/11 9:44 AM, Josh Doe wrote:
>
>         I was just thinking about this myself. We have lots of strip malls
>         around here, where a particular strip will have the same address
>         number, but is divided into a number of "suites". Some of
>         these suites
>         are combined to contain one business, but the business will
>         only use
>         one of the suite identifiers for their address. In one strip
>         you'll
>         see "9570-A", "9570-B", "9570-F" depending on the size of the
>         businesses. I've just been putting this in addr:housenumber.
>
>     i have been putting it into housenumber too, to a degree, but it's not
>     really natural.
>
>     and the suite model is very, very common, anytime you are looking
>     at a shared building, whether it's office space, industrial space, or
>     retail space.
>
>     my concern here is purely making sure the tag name is well chosen.
>     given that OSM tends to lean towards british usage, i'd like to know
>     what that is.
>

>     richard

Personally, I'd put this is addr:full.

I suspect that there are too many local variants to handle. When I've
rented offices in places where multiple offices shared premises, the
Royal Mail just expect the business name & the postal address. Of course
you can put lots of other stuff (Flat 12, Top Floor office, ...) but the
post office doesn't in general care because these will all share a
delivery point. Post is usually sorted out internally.

In Zurich when I rented an apartment this was more significant as the
delivery point was an individual post box inside the building & the
postie had a key to the building. In this case the building had
apartments on the top floor, but business suites on other floors, (and
an up-market knocking shop in the basement, which had a separate entrance).

The most extreme case that I'm aware of is Spain: it's not uncommon for
addresses to consist of a building which will have a street address,
followed by a floor number and a door (often just left & right). This is
common enough to be asked for in questionnaires and online address
forms. As many small companies I've visited are often located in
residential buildings, addresses for business suites and residential
apartments are often identical in form.

So I'd tend to keep the standard addr:* tags for stuff which more
closely relates to a postal address: and put the non-standard stuff in
the addr:full tag. The key issue is really what use cases can you
envisage. The main one I can think of is actually finding the entrance
when visiting the premises.

Jerry