[Tagging] Named gates

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 03:27:10 BST 2011

On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 12:33 AM, Sander Deryckere <sanderd17 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, I just don't know any gates with names, exept city gates like the
> Menin gate in Ypres, but they can't be closed and I should not tag it as
> barrier=gate but rather as a building. I never heard of gates that can be
> closed and are still important enough to get a name.

Some use cases:
- stadiums tend to have named gates. Your ticket tells you which gate
to enter at, and people use them to meet each other.
- the local botanic gardens has named gates - they serve as landmarks
("go in gate E, then down past the duck pond")
- large industrial areas and research parks use them for deliveries etc.

So it's really naming the entrance rather than the gate per se, but
they're often called "gate X".

Steve