[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Directional node

Serge Wroclawski emacsen at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 13:55:19 BST 2011

On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 8:44 AM, Ilya Zverev <zverik at textual.ru> wrote:

>> How about just using a tag to indicate direction?
>> direction=
>
> There are a couple of such proposals in the wiki, see links at the bottom
> of the discussed proposal. The purpose of relation is not only to state the
> direction of a point feature, but also sometimes link it to the surrounding
> features: for example, a direction of a sign is determined by the road
> segment leading to it. Also, this is much easier for mappers and consumers
> than to calculate degrees.

Fundamentally, I think we need to remember that OSM is not intended to
be a true representation of the world, but rather a logical
representation.

The direction that a bench, or a sign faces is not significant from
the perspective of a map. When you get to the object, you'll see its
direction, and you don't need to know the object's orientation to get
there.

The problem with a direction tag is that then suddenly every object
has a direction relation, and we make editing the map far more
complex.

A simple tag seems the right solution in the rare circumstance where
that's needed.

- Serge