[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Directional node

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 16:02:50 BST 2011

On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 2:44 PM, Ilya Zverev <zverik at textual.ru> wrote:

> There are a couple of such proposals in the wiki, see links at the bottom
> of the discussed proposal.

You forgot:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Side_of_stop
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dstop
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Key:stop

But I'm not sure to understand what you want with this proposal since you
already pointed out already existing methods. E.g your example of the
highway stop could be implemented with an enhancement of the relation type
restriction. Your example of the bench could be solved by drawing a line for
the bench instead of a node. Your example of the maxspeed has been fixed
with the :left/:right or :forward/:backward suffixes.

> Also, this is much easier for mappers and consumers
> than to calculate degrees.

We already have existing or more intuitive solutions than "calculating
degrees" (see the discussions about the stop sign). And using relations is
not "easy" for many mappers, especially for newcomers.

Pieren