[Tagging] Relations (was directions)

Simone Saviolo simone.saviolo at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 00:13:39 BST 2011

2011/8/9 Mike N <niceman at att.net>

> On 8/9/2011 10:44 AM, Serge Wroclawski wrote:
>
>> Relations make the map hard to work with.
>>

>  Agree - one of the barriers to entry by new mappers is the complexity.  We
> need to do everything possible to keep it simple and usable.   And not just
> by creating ever-more-complex models and updating all the editors to keep
> pace.   3rd party companies create fancy tools and see that it's a good idea
> to have it inter-operate with OSM data, until it's time to dive into
> relations:
>
> http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=13377

Allow me to disagree. I found it difficult to understand English when I was
at the elementary school, but this has never been a reason to remove all
those complicated things I didn't get. I learned and I got better, to the
point that I can read and write well enough to understand and make me
understand. The same goes for OSM: if we make a system that any newcomer can
use completely without even having to dwelve into the details, then we're
basically dumbing it down and limiting its potential.

I'd rather like to see a tagging philosophy that creates a two-layered
approach: a simpler model that anyone can easily use, and a more advanced,
flexible and detailed one for more experienced users.

Regards,

Simone