[Tagging] Storm drains (was Feature Proposal - RFC - Kerb)

Josh Doe josh at joshdoe.com
Thu Aug 11 13:59:33 BST 2011

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 7:58 AM, Josh Doe <josh at joshdoe.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 11:48 PM, <osm.tagging at thorsten.engler.id.au>wrote:
>
>> How should a stormwater drain be tagged?
>>

>> https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-gD6RfYExBTc/TkNNqT-MNuI/AAAAAAAAAFI/gqh2ROwDkNQ/s800/IMG_20110811_132316.jpg
>>

> You could use kerb=normal (a value being discussed) to indicate it is not
> accessible to vehicles (car/bike/wheelchair). Since I can't find a tag for
> stormwater drains, perhaps just add a note (or propose a new tag :). I'd say
> it should be tagged both as a kerb and a stormwater drain.

I'm kind of curious about this now. The closest tag in use might be
manhole=drain, though to me manhole is what it sounds like, a way for
maintenance personnel to climb down a hole to access pipes and equipment.
Oftentimes storm drains don't have true manholes but just a grate that can
be removed to clean the storm drain out (as in the above picture). Of
course, this wouldn't be the worse logical inconsistency in our tagging
scheme. :)

One proposal [1] suggests using man_made=storm_drain "for storm drain in the
street", though it has no uses according to Taginfo.

[0]: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:manhole
[1]: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/water_network