[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Kerb

osm.tagging at thorsten.engler.id.au osm.tagging at thorsten.engler.id.au
Fri Aug 12 05:30:35 BST 2011

> Perhaps. I'm ambivalent about this type of usage (i.e. I don't plan to do
this myself, but if someone wants to I'd rather them use these tags rather
than the primary kerb=* key). I'd say we should get more input before adding
kerb:both/left/right, and we should probably keep that as part of an
secondary proposal, if someone wishes to do use those keys.

Well, the primary reason I see for these tags would be if there are highways
that have been mapped using e.g. gps tracks for which no detailed enough
imagery is available to trace the exact position of the kerb. In that case I
think it would make sense to tag any observations about the kerb that were
made during generation of the gps track on the highway itself. If more
detailed imagery becomes available in the future that allows tracing the
exact position of the kerb the tags can be moved over.

This would preserve the information collected when the gps track was
generated which I think is quite important as you can't generally recognize
the type of kerb even from highly detailed imagery.

Does anyone else have an opinion about this?