[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Kerb

Josh Doe josh at joshdoe.com
Fri Aug 12 04:45:49 BST 2011

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 9:54 PM, <osm.tagging at thorsten.engler.id.au> wrote:

> > However, if someone really wants to tag a highway=* to indicate a kerb is
> on the outer edge, it's better to not use the kerb=* key but rather
> kerb:left/kerb:right/kerb:both, so there is no confusion.
>
> Ah yes, kerb:both, I didn't think about that. Still pretty new to mapping
> and still getting used to the tagging patterns.
>
> So would it make sense to add this usage (kerb:both, :left, :right) to the
> "Applies to" section at
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/kerb ?

Perhaps. I'm ambivalent about this type of usage (i.e. I don't plan to do
this myself, but if someone wants to I'd rather them use these tags rather
than the primary kerb=* key). I'd say we should get more input before adding
kerb:both/left/right, and we should probably keep that as part of an
secondary proposal, if someone wishes to do use those keys.
-Josh