[Tagging] Tag:bicycle accident=true

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Wed Aug 17 12:13:44 BST 2011

On 17/08/2011 12:19, Sander Deryckere wrote:

> It has a bad discription, it's a tag for a temporary feature  (at
> least how I interpret it) and it didn't go via the voting process.
>
> So I would just delete it and point the writer to the voting process.

Since when is the voting process mandatory?

I would guess that actually the majority of tags and values in current
use have not been formally discussed, let alone voted on. Discussions
very often just bleed to death anyway. The whole basis of OSM is
"openness" - you can use whatever tags you like. Discussion and voting
is really required only if you expect other consumers of the data to do
something with your data, e.g. map renderers or routing engines.

This is how it is; it doesn't mean I agree with it.

Colin