[Tagging] Translating tags into the database itself ?

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 12:01:19 BST 2011

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 12:41 PM, Simone Saviolo
<simone.saviolo at gmail.com> wrote:
> +1. It's not a "Latin name", but the scientific name itself.

Okay for latin ... but OSM shouldn't be reserved for experts imo. I'm
afraid that this sub-tag will need a systematic translation to human
readable text in editors which is not the case today.

> Your comparison
> with amenity=school doesn't fit, either: we're not doing natural=tree,
> natural:it=albero, natural:fr=arbre.

That's what I say. We are not translating tags until now.

> Also, for name=* tags I thought the convention was to use the local name,
> for example name=Torino, name:en=Turin. After all, "Torino" is the name of
> the place, and "Turin" is how English-speaking people call it.

I hope you understand what I mean. A name is hard to translate
automatically or without concerns. And if we do this for names, it is
for one or some elements (the place node or way or relation), not for
millions of objects with the same, identical tags saying exactly the
same thing.

If you don't like the school example because it is a primary tag, I
can use the "surface" tag. We tag "highway=unclassified" +
"surface=paved". If I apply the same concept as species, I could also
tag "highway=unclassified" + "surface=paved" +
"surface:de=asphaltiert" + "surface:fr=goudronné"...

Pieren