[Tagging] Translating tags into the database itself ?

Simone Saviolo simone.saviolo at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 11:41:54 BST 2011

2011/8/18 Peter Wendorff <wendorff at uni-paderborn.de>

> Hi Pieren.
>
> On the one hand I agree with you, that using latin in "species" without
> specifying a language code differs from the way it is done with name and
> name:* tags.
> On the other hand latin AFAIK is the common language to name plant species
> all over the world, and - differing from english for names - the latin
> species names are really used by scientists all over the world.
>
> That's why I would support that scheme using latin as the non-specific
> language for species.

+1. It's not a "Latin name", but the scientific name itself. Your comparison
with amenity=school doesn't fit, either: we're not doing natural=tree,
natural:it=albero, natural:fr=arbre.

Also, for name=* tags I thought the convention was to use the local name,
for example name=Torino, name:en=Turin. After all, "Torino" is the name of
the place, and "Turin" is how English-speaking people call it.

regards
> Peter

Ciao,

Simone