[Tagging] Translating tags into the database itself ?

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 14:01:37 BST 2011

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 2:32 PM, Sander Deryckere <sanderd17 at gmail.com> wrote:

> natural="tree"
> species="Quercus lanata"

And the natural=tree enters in conflict with the landuse=orchard documentation:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Dorchard

Merging both solutions would resutl in something like:

natural=tree
tree=oak               // the common name
name="the name of the individual specimen"
species=quercus_lanata
genus=quercus

I could accept the  "might be useful temporarily" from Tobias but not
being documented in the wiki (like the "fixme").
Unfortunately, the landuse=orchard use a plural for the key and for
the value, e.g. trees=oaks which is also strange.
For consistency, I would like to adopt the same tags for natural=tree
and landuse=orchard
Also, can we avoid the spaces and capitals like in other tags in a finite set ?

I also found a related key formal documentation about "taxon":
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:taxon
which deprecates "species" and replaces "genus" by "taxon:genus".
Again more inconsistencies in our documentation...

Pieren