[Tagging] Is a sidewalk always adjacent to a traversable road?

Simone Saviolo simone.saviolo at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 08:44:30 BST 2011

2011/8/24 Josh Doe <josh at joshdoe.com>

> On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 7:43 PM, Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On 8/23/2011 7:38 PM, Nathan Edgars II wrote:
> >>
> >> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/67469500 is an extension of a
> >> sidewalk across a railroad, whereas the adjacent highway does not cross.
> >> Is it incorrect to use footway=sidewalk here?
>
> I would not use footway=sidewalk here. See below for rationale.
>
> > In addition, how about a mid-block crosswalk?
> > http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/67386026
>
> That appears to be crossing a street, Delaney Avenue, so it should be
> highway=footway + footway=crossing.

-1. Firstly, I would add a highway=crossing, crossing=* node at the
intersection with the way of the road. Secondly, I'm not sure that the way
of the crossing would be a highway=footway. Isn't that supposed to be a
separate "carriageway"? I mean, there are people who argue over whether it's
proper to draw a way for dedicated opposite-way lanes (that are usually
delimited by some sort of physical barrier); if that is borderline, this one
seems definitely wrong.

On the other hand, I "agree on disagreeing" on using footway=sidewalk.

Regards,

Simone